Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Jake the Snake

Jacob Daniel, my youngest grandson has been called "Jake the Snake" since the day he was born mainly because I've always liked the name. The Snake, and I are buds. He, at age 11, is the last of my daughter's progeny, and I take every advantage I can to spend time with this boy, until he too, goes the way of the other two grandchildren - young adulthood. Jake is a tall, lean, athletic machine who can also sing, act and schmooze his way into anyone's heart with his quirky grin and purposely messed up hair. He loves his extended family as much as his Papa and I do. He would travel with us anywhere to visit relatives he has never met before, and add them to his list of loved ones. He is sensitive and comical and typically preteen. In other words - perfect.

He and I are movie buffs. I take him to any silly, crazy movie he wants to see, waste money on over priced popcorn and Pepsi, and enjoy every minute of it. As he has matured, we choose films both of us love - still silly and crazy, but, as it turns out, we both like the same SyFi stuff, don't like really scary things and we both laugh at people running into walls and landing on their butts.

One incredible thing about Snake that stands out in my mind is his uncanny way of picking up tunes and singing melodies that he's only just heard. I have an annoying habit of making up ridiculous song for my kids. Jake can sing along to any song I create while I'm making it up. The first time I noticed this was when he was only six or seven months old. I know I sound like a typically bragging grandmother, but I heard this baby hum and repeat the tune I was singing for him. Granted it was "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round," but HE HUMMED THE TUNE!!!! All three of my g'kids are musical and sing beautifully, but Jake has this mysterious ability to read new songs in his head as they are being sung. Pretty cool, huh?

He has a hardy appetite that would make any teenage boy cry "uncle," and I love cooking for him, but his favorite food is soft Italian bread slathered with butter or toast slathered with butter. I don't usually make bread, except Irish Soda Bread, and that recipe was used for my granddaughter, Emily's memory.

My Jacob is a recipe unto himself.

He is:
one part love
one part generosity
one part humor
one part flirt
and all boy

No comments:

Post a Comment