Monday, November 1, 2010

The Horizontal Hostess

I realized, as I typed this title, that it sounds way more provocative than it was originally intended to be. My girl friend was trying to encourage me to continue inviting people over to my home, even if I wasn't able to get up and be the hostess I would prefer to be. I could be the "Horizontal Hostess." I like it! Heck, Franklin Roosevelt didn't get up much for folks at his gatherings, and I'm not better than FDR. You work with what you've got.

My gorgeous niece, Jill, (I always think of her as my gorgeous niece) said one day they would all get down here, and I could cook my heart out for them. Oh, what bliss! By then, though, I may be buying all the goodies from Salem Kitchen, and lying that I cooked it myself, but who would care. I could direct the buffet from my couch like the Grand Dame that I am.

I am not good with change, and there are so many changes in my life right now that I can't imagine what is in the future. I am the girl who hasn't moved her furniture in five years, and that was only because we bought a new home. If I liked something in the first place, why would I move it? Some changes will happen to me and some changes I will effect for myself. For instance, I needed a new picture of me in my head, so I recently colored my mousy gray hair to "happy strawberry blond." Still wondering about this change. I can't decide if it's warm and welcoming, or if it reminds people of an "I LOVE LUCY" spin off. (A warning to all previous red-heads that are now gray, I have personally learned that if you mix red with white, you often get pink.) I am the cool GDAWG, but pink hair is still in a galaxy far, far away for me.

Today was a very rough day for me, but I learned, as it went on, that I have family and friends who really love me, encourage me and stand up for me. No changes there! I am blessed beyond all measure. Tonight I hear the song, "Joy Unspeakable and Full of Glory" racing through my music hall of a brain. Horizontal or semi-vertical, I have a life ahead and many doors to go through. The best part of this journey is that I won't go through it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment